The Lone Star Card in Texas is used for two programs: Food Stamps, as well as the Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF) program. Families that qualify can apply for and receive a card in conjunction with either of these programs. To obtain and use the Lone Star Card, follow these steps:
- Contact your local Texas Health and Human Services Center (HHSC) office to obtain an application for TANF and/or food stamp services. To locate the office, you can either dial 211 from your phone, or use this office locator
- You can arrange to pick your card up in the office, or receive it via mail.
- When you receive the card, sign it on the back. If you chose to receive your card via mail, you must call their Help Desk at 1-800-777-7328 to register the card. You can't use your card unless it is registered. The help desk will then allow you to choose your PIN (Personal Identification Number).
- If you obtained the card for food stamp benefits, you can then use the Lone Star card at participating stores to purchase food.
- With the TANF program, you can use your card to withdraw cash or make purchases at participating stores. You can also use your card to make purchases as well as get up to $50 in cash back during a purchase at your local post office. Most local post offices offer this service.
Other Assistance and Ideas
Aside from the Lone Star card, there are also other programs, like food pantries and the Angel Food Ministries program. Contact a local church or community action agency to locate local food pantries. Angel Food Ministries are available nationwide. You can buy boxes of food for a nominal charge of around $30 to help feed your family. There are no minimum income limits to meet. Angel Food Ministries has a website at angelfoodministries.com
Also, have a look at the following topics on our site that might be helpful: